Inserting an External Action
The Insert > External Action option enables you to initiate actions not contained in your web application, such as launching an external URL, dialing a phone number, sending an email, or looking up an address in Maps. To add an external action, select “External Action” from the “Insert” menu.
Choose whether you would like the action displayed as a Button or Link.
Then, choose the type of external action: Open URL, Phone Number, Email Address, or Address.
Enter additional details. For Open URL, the Designer will request the URL (Note: http or https must be included) and provide the option to include alternative Display Text, that could be different than the actual action URL.
For the other options, the Designer will ask for the desired phone number, email address, or address.
Launching an External URL: User Experience
For Zapps run in WorkSimple, the default behavior is for the link to open in WorkSimple’s in app browser, which is an internal browser run within the application but outside of the Zapp itself.
You can also configure your URL to open in an external browser or (if required by the specific URL) an external native application. First, click the control’s pencil icon to open the In Line Editor (ILE).
Toggle on “Open in External App.”
The URL will then be opened in your device’s default browser or the appropriate app.
The following video provides an example of launching both a URL and a native application.
For Zapps run in browser, the default behavior is for the URL to be loaded in a mini-browser within the Zapps itself.
As opposed to WorkSimple in-app browser, the mini-browser includes a menu with additional options, such as launching the URL in an external browser or copying the link are included in the top right dropdown menu.
You can enable the “Open in External App” setting to instead launch the link in your device’s default browser or the required application.
When you run your Zapp in Test or Simplify mode, the default behavior is to load the external URL in a mini-browser.
If “Open in External App” is enabled, the link will not open, and a popup message explaining how the URL will load on your mobile device will surface.
Cross Domain URLs
Capriza Zapps are run over https. As a best practice, we recommend loading external URLs using https. If you do include external URLs loaded over http, the expected behavior is as follows:
- WorkSimple: The URL will load normally whether in the in app browser or in an external browser/app.
- Browser: Loading the URL in the mini-browser fill fail, and you will receive an error message. To remedy the error, toggle on “Open in External Browser” to load the URL in your phone’s default browser.
- Designer: The URL will load normally in the mini-browser or display the standard popup message if “Open in External Browser” is enabled.
Websites that Prevent Access via iFrame
Some websites, such as yahoo.com and google.com, cannot be opened within an iframe. In these cases, the expected behavior is as follows:
- WorkSimple: The site will open as normal regardless of any iframe limitations.
- Browser: The link will fail to open but no specific error message will display. To remedy, toggle on “Open in External Browser” to load the URL in your phone’s default browser.
- Designer: The link will fail to open but no specific error message will display. You can enable “Open in External Browser” and you will receive the standard “links will be enabled on your mobile device” message.
Mobile End User Experience: Other Action Types
For information on the user experience for Phone Number, Email Address, and Address external actions, refer to the Mobile First Features section.